Perfectly Boiled Maine Lobster
Author: Dorr Lobster
Recipe type: Main Dish
- Fresh lobsters from Dorr Lobster
- Fill a large pot with water. Allow 3 quarts of water per 1-1/2 to 2 lbs. of lobster. Add ¼ cup of salt for each gallon of water.
- Bring the water to a rolling boil. Put the live lobsters in the pot one at a time, do not cover, and start timing immediately. Stir the lobsters halfway through cooking.
- Cooking Times – (based on the lobster-to-water ratio mentioned above)
- One pound — 8 minutes
- One-1/4 pounds — 9-10 minutes
- One-1/2 pounds — 11-12 minutes
- One-3/4 pounds — 12-13 minutes
- Two pounds — 15 minutes
- Two-1/2 pounds — 20 minutes
- Three pounds — 25 minutes
- Five pounds — 35-40 minutes